What A&R Reps Do
by Christopher Knab - Fourfront
Media & Music - 2008
Back to The Academy
What exactly is an 'A&R' rep anyway? We hear the term all the time, and most
of us have a certain picture in our mind. But it is correct? Here's a short job
An A&R Reps Primary Job:
Seek talent by:
- Auditioning demo tapes (solicited, as well as unsolicited, depending
on record label policy.) If interested, ask to see artist perform live.
- Attending live shows at clubs, showcases, concerts, and other venues.
visiting artist/band website
and social neteworking sites
like MySpace and Faceboook.
- Following leads from any ‘buzz’ created by artists.
- Checking industry insiders (managers, agents, attorneys, concert promoters,
label promo reps, retail contacts, trade and consumer press tips, regional ‘scenes’, or other sources.)
- Watching for talent on other labels, who’s contracts are expiring.
- Evaluate talent and match with potential audience tastes.
- Sign talent to label with executives approval.
- Search for new songs for existing talent on the label.
- Coordinate label relationships for an artist, once they are signed to
- Provide creative input and direction on artist’s material.
- Find suitable producers and recording studios.
- Plan the recording budget with the business affairs department.
Christopher Knab is an independent music business consultant based in Seattle, Washington. He
is available for private consultations on promoting and marketing independent music, and can be reached by email at: email@example.com
Chris Knab's new book, 'Music Is Your Business'
is available NOW from the Music Biz Academy bookstore.
Visit the FourFront Media and
Music website for more information on the business of music from
|Submit An Article for Consideration!
Would you like to submit an article for publication at MusicBizAcademy.com? If you have music-related expertise
you'd like to share with other musicians including career tips, how to's, or general music business-related articles,
please feel free to send them our way. We'll be glad to consider them. Submit your article!